• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio Ironcat ongoing coverage

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:04 pm Reply with quote
ANN's stuck in a bit of a dilemma about how to proceed with this story.

Ever since first hearing about the issue going on at I.C. Entertainment back in July, we've been planning to report on it, and come August we started contacting the people involved. I.C. Entertainment and their former staff.

Of course the staff talked, as you already know. This isn't surprising since disgruntled (rightfully so or not) employees are often happy to talk about problems with their former employers. They also were worried that if there side of the story wasn't heard, their reputations might be tarnished and it would be hard to find work in the future.

I.C. Entertainment didn't talk much. They've been very open and honest with us, though, honest about the fact that they prefer not to talk about anything until matters are resolved. And who can blame them? It's normal for a company to try to keep its internal matters quiet, or should they fail at that, keep the details quiet until the process is resolved. Or maybe they're just stalling and hoping the story will die, we can't be sure which, but we prefer to believe that they're good people and will talk to us when the time is right for them.

We ended up posting an interview we held with a number of the former staff. This may not have been the best way for us to start our coverage. Although the article was journalistically sound, we now feel that it would have been better for us to wait a bit and post a more detailed report style article that referred to elements of the interview, but also had other details and removed the unnecessary comments found in the interview.

That article was always our end goal with this story in the first place. The article itself is now nearly complete, it gives a lot more background about the issues and everything. We also tried to make the article a bit more balanced, unfortunately Ironcat (they've reverted to their old name) is still unwilling to address the issues.

Without Ironcat's comments, we can't tell their side of the story, nor can we conclude the article with any sort of details about where the company is going from here...

So the article, if it was posted right now, would be much better written than the interview; but it would still be just as negative. To be frank, if we hadn't posted the interview, I'd have no problem posting the article right now. But since the interview is already up, I'm not certain if it would be a good idea to post a second, although improved, article that still only tells one side of the story.

I have no doubt (well, little) that Ironcat will eventually be ready to talk candidly to us. Unfortunately it could be months before this happens.

So what say you, readers of ANN, do we update now, or do we wait? And if so, how long? We can't, and won't wait indefinitely (if it is in fact the case that I.C. is hoping the story dies, or it just takes them very long to take care of their affairs).
starfyre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd say post it. The longer you wait the better chance that the mess would go forgotten. Most companies would want to keep it all hidden. But with the interview already posted, we've seen the one side and that is how most people will view IC at the moment based on what was said. Posting the article shows IC and the public that the story isn't over, as well as showing that y'all are on top of things. With the knowledge that the story isn't over or has a chance of being forgotten, it might push IC into producing their side of the story
Zaknafein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I really see no reason in any further delay in ANN's posting this article. Despite Ironcat's silence on this issue, you've given them ample time to issue a statement which they have (and probably will continue) to decline to comment. I think it's important in posting your article as it will provide us, the ANN's readers, more solid information about what happened. I'm interested in reading on this further.

Thank you,
papillon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd say post the article as Ironcat has yet to really address this matter publicly and will most likely continue holding their silent stance. Their actions places them in an unfavorable position, so naturally they are waiting this out hoping that things are forgotten and that only the former employees come out looking badly. Posting the article shows that we haven't forgotten and will provide us with a better understanding of what exactly happened.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I say unfortuantely, you should post the article. Ironcat is doing poor P.R. work and that is thier problem, not yours. While you can be sympathetic and attempt to be evenhanded (as you seem to be) it is ultimately thier responsiblity to handle the press. Hopefully, they will "get the message" in the future.

Best of luck,

Nani?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:26 pm Reply with quote
A lot of new posters here...

My question would be... have they given you an estimated amount of time as to when they will be ready to speak openly about the issues going on?

If they give you a time frame that is reasonable, sit on it until they can comment. If they tell you it won't be for another six months, it is subject to be only a stalling tactic, and if that winds up being the case, you will fall flat on your face if you go with the story then, because it's old news.

So the question comes down to this... can you anticipate you will have anything new in a reasonable amount of time that will still make the report newsworthy? If it's undetermined, and they tell you they will hold off for an indefinete amount of time, then I advise you run the story and add that you will be happy to follow up when they are forthcoming with their side of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
takami826

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I say run with it and do a follow up from that in a month.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:47 am Reply with quote
I think you should post the follow-up article. The interview was okay, but I think ANN needs to post an article with organized, factual information. People seemed to be really upset over just the interview being posted.
PeteInPhilly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:47 am Reply with quote
Greetings!

I don't know. Much of it would have to do with _why_ Ironcat isn't talking. If they are indeed stalling to protect themselves in a way that is detrimental, illegal, or inappropriate, then you make the call.

However, there are two other conditions I can think of where it would be better to abide by Ironcat's decision:

1) If Ironcat is trying to protect itself by legal and appropriate ways, such as under the advice of a lawyer because of pending litigation either for or against Studio Ironcat.

2) If Ironcat is choosing to stay silent to protect the reputations of the former employees. It could very well be that the former employees are not clean as the driven snow; that they themselves would be hurt personally and professionally if Studio Ironcat chose to open up and truthfully tell what happened to bring about this mess.

The public's DESIRE to know is not the same as the public's RIGHT to know. As stated before, Studio Ironcat is a private company. And while it's possible they are taking the corporate "low road" by thinking "ignore it and it will go away", I'm willing to believe - for good reason - that Studio Ironcat is taking the "high road" by protecting both the honest interests of itself and of the former employees.

It is a sad American tradition that the only thing we enjoy more than raising people up on pedestals is tearing them down regardless of justification.

TTFN!
Pete in Philly
Zaknafein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Pete,

I think it's safe to say Ironcat is not keeping silent for reason 1 or 2. The following was told to a visitor of Ironcat earlier this week...

Ironcat "fiction":
Two former IC Employees stole office computers and software

The truth of the matter is:
Computers and software belonged to those employees and their family. At no time did IC ever purchase or pay to lease computers.

IC was pirating software off the originals and not paying for them.

IC tried claiming employee's personal computers and software belonged to them. When a) IC never purchased said computers and b) they have no proof of purchase. They were purchased years prior by the employees family and the employee. The software they claimed as theirs was PC only, and IC's few present computers are mac's.

It was also said to visitor that former IC employee's took scripts and never provided them. They were all left on harddrives, but Ironcat, rather than pay for legal copies of the software used to create the files originally, continues to harass the employees to completely reformat the files. Which definitely is NOT their responsability anymore.

IC also told the visitor that ANN "badgered" the former employees to do the interview, which is completely false.

All of these things are stuff they are telling people and informing their new employees.

It sounds to me as if Ironcat doesn't want to say anything to ANN, because there really is nothing to say other than "oops... mah fault". However they'll continue to say 'slanderous' things behind closed doors 'unoffically'. I don't see how protection could possibly be in Ironcat view of anything.

I hope ANN posts the more detailed article to shed some light on what has been going on.
PeteInPhilly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm,

I've heard much different, also from inside Ironcat.

I've heard that Studio Ironcat HAS been advised by their lawyer to say nothing.

Because of that, I won't say anything more. Just that I believe (and know to an extent), that both reasons 1 and 2 have validity.

Of course, there's always THREE sides to a story: One side, the other side, and the truth. I've a hunch you and I each have some of the truth but not all of it. And speculation is not fair to either side. Or the truth.

TTFN!
PeteInPhilly
Zaknafein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:11 pm Reply with quote
If they're as you said in #2, trying to protect the ex-employees then why are they slandering them to their own employees and persons like yourself who constantly insist you know the "inside deal."

It's great that you have "the other side" of the story, but unless you share it, I don't see the point of discussing this further. Your side of the conversation would be filled with, "I could tell you, but I wont. Oh, I know that too, but mum's the word..."

hehe Rolling Eyes

Anywho, Cool

I hope ANN decides to release their article soon.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I would say it depends on the REASON for posting the article. If the article sheds more light on the STORY and will better put comments in context and show what's going on, by all means, that's a story worth telling. If instead the feeling is "we can't let Ironcat hide" as some people are saying or "they can't 'get away' with this", sorry to say, but that's NOT "your" job. If Ironcat is doing something illegal, that is actionable by the people that are/were wronged after which THAT should be reported on, it is NOT the job of "fans" (or fan "reporters") to "keep the heat on" unless you have facts showing they're wrong, in which case, those facts should be given to appropriate authorities.
But if ANN wants to report the story that is there, I think it's worth the time and space to explain the situation and report the ACTUAL news surrounding the situation, but again, only if that is the intent and purpose of the article. I do agree that absent comment by IC it will probably appear biased, but absent any response from them, reporting the NEWS of the situation is a fair and responsible thing to do. The only reason I would say "no" is if there's nothing new, it was the view of everyone in the feedback to the interview that it was "clear" from the interview that Ironcat was in financial difficulty, etc. If the thinking still is that that was "clear" then pointing out what most assumed to be obvious may be redundant.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Lot's of good points. But I'm still undecided.

One thing though, is that I'm taking posts from people who joined after Oct 6th with a grain of Salt. No offense, you might just be interested readers... but you're also quite possibly involved & therefore biased.

I'll still read your comments, and think about them though... just with the extra grain (or two) of salt.
starfyre

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I may be a first time poster on here, but I am a bit more active on AOD's forum. And even there, I'm very silent, only speaking when I feel the need to say something. My biasness comes from the my passion against corporate disception. This comes based off of my former employer, Enron.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2