• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why ANN ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk8ersheena

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Why did you become a member at ANN?
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
Is this really suppost to be in this section?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:

It was moved here from another section, so yeah.

And the answer is easy: Mature conversation. It's about the only place on the net where you can still get a decent conversation/debate going without a bunch of little kids coming along to muddy things up. The high standards and strict rules along with the zero tolerance approach to bootlegs and fansubs makes it all that much more enjoyable.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
I became a member because of the encyclopedia. It is the greatest tool in organizing and keeping track of anime EVER!! I love it Anime smallmouth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah. This place actually has anime fans with brain cells. I've been in a million and 1 different anime forums and this place has people that don't begin every post with "Rofl lol!!!!111 Glomp, glomp, glomp, glomp." On top of that, I've been going to this site for years so I thought that it was about time I checked out the forums.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I became a member because of the encyclopedia. It is the greatest tool in organizing and keeping track of anime EVER!! I love it .

That is why very good encyclopedia.

And because of the fourms. Only fourms I have ever posted at more then like twice.

It constantly updaiting with new news. Just great site.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:40 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
trackstar1013 wrote:

And the answer is easy: Mature conversation. It's about the only place on the net where you can still get a decent conversation/debate going without a bunch of little kids coming along to muddy things up. The high standards and strict rules along with the zero tolerance approach to bootlegs and fansubs makes it all that much more enjoyable.

Emerje

Zero tolerance to fansub??, Yet the majority of post on the forum are still about series that is being fansub. (Ichigo, GSeed Destiny etc), I think that does encourage fansub in one way or another. But that's true for all forum, even the one over at AOD.

I still don't think that there is a lot of mature conversation on the anime forum, peope still post topic "like who's better" or "imagine if this...." or "4kids still suck, yada yada yada". The manga forum on the other hand, has less people but I believe more intelligent post..

I say the Enclopedia and the front news are probably the main reason why I'm here.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:22 am Reply with quote
I enjoy intelligent conversation about anime as well, and I first stumbled across the site while searching for information in the encyclopedia for various shows.

And about the bootlegs/fansubs thing:

As far as I know, it is allowed to discuss the actual shows being fansubbed and not released in the US. However, it is not permitted to discuss where or how to actually obtain Bleach, Naruto, Ichigo 100%, Negima, etc. That's what they mean by the zero tolerance policy.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
Older audiance I've noticed most of the people I've meet from the site either at AX or other cons tend be around college age or just a little older. Compared to the people I see from Gaia were there anime board boils down to "ZOMG Yaio" or "Seshimaru is so hot lollers"

more mature user base.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
I tend to frequent a few boards, some intelligent conversation is always a good thing, not to mention something to pass the time while I'm working.

I chose ANN because I was browsing around various anime forums and was having difficulty finding one that had much in the way of mature discussion that also had a decent member base. Most the other forums I tried either had almost no users or activities, or a really immature member base that would hardly talk about anything worth talking about and really seemed to love their hentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Emerje wrote:
trackstar1013 wrote:

Emerje

Zero tolerance to fansub??, Yet the majority of post on the forum are still about series that is being fansub. (Ichigo, GSeed Destiny etc), I think that does encourage fansub in one way or another. But that's true for all forum, even the one over at AOD.

Well, it's official ANN policy not to support fansubs. That means no links to fansubs and no mentioning specific groups. For that much, at least, ANN has zero tolerance. It's kind of like saying, "We know the stuff is out there, but we won't help you get it."
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
I joined because I could see that it was possible to discuss controversial topics reasonably sensibly, and because I know I'm not the only over-50 around here...
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quote
Let's see. 95% less of this, "0MG cowbOy ebbopp and trigum RoXoRz th3y shOulD air 2) more rtimes ioNa z!!!!!!!!!" That and far less 4Kids, Naruto, and Dubs sucks topics. I'm looking at you 1Up and GameFAQs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Zalis116 and one3ed pretty much nailed. You can talk about the shows, but you can't help people get them through fansubs. Could you imagine how boring this place would be if you could only talk about shows that are actually released, not just licensed but actually released? It is a zero tolerance policy because as topics/posts asking where to download shows are locked/edited and the names of groups are filtered out.

Quote:
I still don't think that there is a lot of mature conversation on the anime forum, peope still post topic "like who's better" or "imagine if this...." or "4kids still suck, yada yada yada". The manga forum on the other hand, has less people but I believe more intelligent post..

Compared to how nearly all of the other anime forums on the net are run those posts are just a drop in the bucket. Most other forums are only made up of those posts with little conversation behind them. Atleast when posts like those do appear here there are rules in place to prevent them from being simply list threads. Fail that they're locked. Trying asking for a post to get locked on GameFAQs and see what happens.

Emerje
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Like most people have already said, I joined for intelligent conversation with other mature anime fans. I also like the news, the colums and the encyclopedia on the site itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4