• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yurei Deco (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote

Yurei Deco (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary: The story begins when Berry, an average girl from an average home, meets Hack, a girl who looks like a boy. Charmed by Hack, Berry meets up with the team Hack leads, the Ghost Detectives Club. Members of this club are "socially dead," working invisibly within the digitally controlled society of Tom Sawyer. As she works with the group, Berry learns about Zero, a mysterious figure who lurks within Tom Sawyer's underground. She and Hack decide to chase down this figure, and in time, the truth behind the city is revealed…

July 3, 2022 (Sundays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of this show. The bright colourful stuff reminds me of the robots in Deca Dence, where it was meant to illicit this sense of nostalgia, but just totally misses the mark with me. Kind of contributed in making me think that the show thinks that it is smarter than it actually is.

Despite all the colourful lights, this show does think that it is smart, with pretty noticeable it wanted to do modern day stuff about social media and censorship, and even that one bit about class and or immigrants. But I just really don't think that it had much to actually say on the matter. That censorship is bad because people will just forget about things, and maybe something about missing what is real on social media. But there really isn't that depth there.

I frankly think that it is ridiculous that the big good thing at the end was apparently just making Hack in charge. This is a character they tried to make us think a few episodes back was all about personal privacy, but was literally introduced by being an invisible voyeur that was spying into the personal spaces of people, and did con a man out of all his currency. I really could barely stand Hack, it really seemed like his character was built a lot around being more quirky than our already quirky but relatable main character, Berry. Extra quirky characters in already quirky setting.

It left me sort of wondering how I might have thought if it was a slightly more grounded cyberpunk setting, perhaps with a high contrast the reality most live in Augmented Reality, and a more gritty reality. Although, I imagine that would have been a more expensive endeavour, that some might have seen as risky. Finn was perhaps the real character of opportunities here, where he could really only observe the augmented and virtual reality from a a limited way, and yet did create cool things for people enjoy, and also seeing the real issues that others missed. Kind of has me thinking that Finn is the one who should have been given the power, if the show could have escaped from just hope in future generations fix things of give the power to a quirky kid.

But also that the whole absolute power still being given to any one particular person, still comes across as a problem, that this character with a limited perspective still gets to make the decisions by himself. And if we are looking at something like censorship of a high social media society, you would think the real villain would be something like capitalism of corporations just doing things that will make them more money. With even their government called something like Customer Service. But that aspect was totally missing from the story at the end, and if you look back it is like the show was terrified of doing anything that could possibly be a criticism of real capitalism. It does make me notice a contrast to something like Akudama Drive, which while flawed, it has something. For the record I am also in the middle of watching the Cyberpunk Edgerunner anime, so I am feeling especially critical. Even if this show wanted to be a fluffier cyberpunk.

Anyways, I was unfortunately much more bored than I would have liked. I kind of gave up fairly early on that it would do anything actually noticeable, and was not really surprised or let down. My rating will be Not really good (4/10), but not a total waste of time either. It did at least look different, but it failed to really connect with me on that, and thematically I don't think it was that impressive.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Former one-and-only-YureiDeco-fan (?) here. If I didn't care I wouldn't have even noticed the comment counter go from zero to one here so I think no one else will see your comment given the low level of general engagement for this show. Curious that you didn't post in the show's actual comment thread. Anyway, I agree with your "grade" although tempted to take it down one. This show was so confused and tripped and fell so flat at the end that I think everyone will forget this even existed in a couple of weeks if they haven't done so already. Sort of like the show itself observed was characteristic of modern media-connected people...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1