• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Secrets of success for anime with lackluster animation?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Logically I think shows with minimalist or simplistic designs, chiefly in character designs because that's what the viewer focuses on, are cheaper and less labor intensive to produce. It's an ingenious tactic to increase profitability.

I reference anime like Dragon Ball, One Piece and Pokemon as examples. I'm not criticizing the animation quality, I'm asking what aspects or qualities besides the economic factor of producing those shows (whether they are significantly cheaper or not), contribute to their lasting success and popularity.

Personally, a high degree of detail and animation quality is what attracts me to shows I might be interested in. I naturally tend to avoid ones that I refer to as lackluster, so I've just not ever really grasped the reasons they are loved by so many fans.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
@Past

With those shows you mentioned, it is the audience. Those skew a bit younger than most of the anime mentioned here. The fans talk to each other and push the title. With Pokeman, the presence of an associate card game helped. What they are after is the story and the action. I doubt they spend a lot of time criticizing the animation as such.

I'll take it a bit beyond that. My feeling is that many anime fans, quite possibly the majority are not in it for the animation as such. I got into anime because of the stories, and the art work (backgrounds and character designs) because it was different from what I was used to. The cultural differences made it more interesting. I don't notice the animation unless it is so bad as to interfere with my enjoyment of the show.

Animation is like the various techniques a director uses to film live action. It is all in service of making the story seem real. If in watching the show it becomes noticeable you're doing it wrong. I think one of the strengths of anime is that its practitioners have largely mastered the skill of producing animation that is "good enough". It does the job without taking forever or costing a fortune. Sorry if this seems "lackluster" to you.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Personally, a high degree of detail and animation quality is what attracts me to shows I might be interested in. I naturally tend to avoid ones that I refer to as lackluster, so I've just not ever really grasped the reasons they are loved by so many fans.

Never understood why such shows are popular? Because they're fun? Not everything has be high art to be enjoyable. Different strokes, different folks. Simple as that. Why do some prefer chocolate? How about vanilla? Why do some like shonen and some josei? For some the animation itself is key. For others the story. Some want a relatable story. Some simply want a kick ass good time.

Most anime fans are the same as most live action movie goers. They simply want to be entertained. They might know the names of big name directors, companies, etc. but most do not know all the ins and outs. You can say some random anime director and unless it Miyazaki for example, 8 or 9 out of 10 probably won't know who they are by name. The same goes for movie goers and those people who follows director's careers, pay attention to Cannes, etc. Same concept. None of this makes one set of fans better than the other, it just means they want different things and enjoy different things. Even with shows I personally think are garbage I am not surprised why some might like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1