• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in which a main character is not the most popular?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:07 pm Reply with quote
There always seems to be a correlation between which character is most popular in a series and who the main character is. Logically why should that correlation exist so frequently? Characters are products of their creators and creators are people just like you and me, so how they express a main character shouldn't necessarily form an emotional connection with every viewer.

Assuming a show's character development portrays a wide variety of personalities and traits across the entire cast, I think it's statistically likely any character could be more popular than the main character. Or is there something about main characters in particular that draws the vast majority of viewers toward them? Perhaps it's that they have the most screen time, the story focuses on them or more detail is put into their appearance, actions and facial expressions compared to other characters.

So I'd like ANN members to think of and mention some shows that prove MCs arent always the most popular characters. Or are there many shows that tell a story without really focusing on one singular character (often it's 2 actually, that's why I said "a main character" in the subject)?
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Levi is generally considered more popular than Eren and Asuna more than Kirito. Frankly, most Jun Maeda works have the girls as more marketable than the male protagonist.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:51 am Reply with quote
Maybe it’s just me but in Overlord I find Albedo way more interesting and entertaining than Ainz.

And in Danmachi and Sword of Oratoria I find almost all the characters more interesting than Ais.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
Usually in harem series or even regular romcoms the love prospects are more popular than the main/POV character
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
Durararara for sure.

NOBODY chose Mikado as their favorite. Laughing Including me. He was the blandest thing ever.

Logically?

I have no idea why the show made him so boring. Maybe he's better in the source material (which happens almost always)

Evangelion is a big one. All three women are more popular than Shinji (who gets an unfair amount of hate imho)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I think Levi is generally considered more popular than Eren and Asuna more than Kirito. Frankly, most Jun Maeda works have the girls as more marketable than the male protagonist.

Good answers and an interesting question. I'd have to paw through my "Seen All" list to try and come up with some answers but off the top of my head, in Bakemonogatari I think maybe Senjougahara is more popular than Araragi? I guess that sort of fits with killjoy_the's theory except I'd say she is the only girl who is more popular than he is. I'll try to come up with some more later on.

Black Lagoon, Revy > Rock. The cut-off jean shorts certainly don't hurt...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:11 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

I hate to break it to you, but Mikado is not the main character of Durarara!. According to the author of the light novels (the source material) the main character is Celty. It does make the show a bit different in that the main character is not the first person we meet and is only occasionally the view point character. Mikado is the center around which the first arc is told but he is shoved aside for later arcs. The series is very much an ensemble one with Celty as a fixed point. The author just loves his overlapping stories with multiple characters taking the focus at different times. It is the same way in Baccano the author's other animated series.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:22 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of correct Alan, but Narita himself superseeded himself. This is the afterword of Volume 13 of DRRR, where he says the story was "centered around the trio of teenagers"

He intended to make Celty the main character, and in a way she is, as the instigator (not on her own terms) of lots of things, but the main DRRR plot is about Mikado
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:50 pm Reply with quote
There's an argument for Celty being the true protagonist early on, but as it goes on, it's pretty clear that Mikado is the one most focused on (even if he's clearly not the one Narita is making the most entertaining to follow).

I guess I should get the harem examples out of the way. Kirito, Tenchi, Araragi, Keitaro, Keima Katsuragi, Tomoya, Shirou, and almost every harem protagonist is, by design, less remembered than the female leads. The only exception I can think of is Okabe from Steins Gate.

It might be a cheat to say Haruhi is more popular than Kyon (who is, at the end of the day, the real protagonist), but Mikuru and Yuki are also more popular than Kyon so...

Mascot characters, even ones with a dark twist, also tend to overshadow the others in the public conscience. Kyubey is by far the most popular character in Madoka.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I guess I should get the harem examples out of the way. Kirito, Tenchi, Araragi, Keitaro, Keima Katsuragi, Tomoya, Shirou, and almost every harem protagonist is, by design, less remembered than the female leads. The only exception I can think of is Okabe from Steins Gate.

You've mostly cited exceptions, imo. My 'method' is checking favorites numbers on MAL/AL, and Kirito, Keima and Tomoya all have more than the other members of their respective anime on MAL. Kirito has less than Asuna on AL, though, but Keima and Tomoya have more than the other characters on AL as well
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
And in Danmachi and Sword of Oratoria I find almost all the characters more interesting than Ais.
YES! I totally agree. There is just something really generic about her.

How could a show with so many supporting characters have a main character who is duller than all of them? Nothing wrong with Danmachi though, its one of my recent favorites. Another show with a lot of supporting characters is That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime but the only reason I started watching it is because I was already interested in the MC. I enjoyed it so far but the story really digs into the idea that the MC is the only reason to watch. It's like the character development of everyone else serves primarily to prop up Rimuru.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The only exception I can think of is Okabe from Steins Gate.

I am 100 PERCENT certain that people watched Is This a Zombie? and Eminence in Shadow for their absolute Chad MCs who are a true joy every single second they are on screen Cool

At least I did. Anime hyper

I can't even remember the names of most of Cid's "harem".... Laughing they're just eyecandy for the male viewers and not much else.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:39 am Reply with quote
I think this is super-common in shonen series, at least. You look at any major popularity poll for the likes of One Piece or MHA, and you'll see all kinds of ancillary characters ranking near the top. (Hell, didn't Naruto's dad win some recent poll, because the prize was an additional story focused on the winner?) Given how many popular anime series seem to take pride in featuring completely milquetoast protagonists, I don't think it's any surprise that side characters often grab the fans' interest.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:48 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Usually in harem series or even regular romcoms the love prospects are more popular than the main/POV character
100%! The first character that came to my mind was Kazuki from Maburaho. My goodness, he was absolutely horrible…
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Going to go old school and go with Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road, who was way more popular than the series main character, Kyosuke Kasuga. Most of the merchandise greatly features her more than any of the other characters from the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2