• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Anime Rankings - Best of Spring 2024, May 20-26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheReticent

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I find it highly amusing that the lowest five shows in the cumulative rankings have not moved at all since the season started.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This week proves the previous spike in ratings for Chillin' etc. wasn't a total fluke, some people actually like it (like me)...
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:51 am Reply with quote
I get that Girls Band Cry isn't being reviewed, although I'm disappointed that it isn't, but it's not even on the list? It's a good show by a Toei Animation. How is it possible it's not even being offered to readers to rate?

For those who haven't seen any of it, it's Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night, but all the girls are in the band instead of supporting one singer, and it's way more intense. But both have the same short brown haired character finding herself, both have the same blonde experienced, down-and-out girl who initially motivated the brunette, and both the same long black-haired proper Japanese girl. And they both air at the same time in the week, so I watch them back to back and get myself very confused -_-'
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:45 am Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha wrote:
I get that Girls Band Cry isn't being reviewed, although I'm disappointed that it isn't, but it's not even on the list? It's a good show by a Toei Animation. How is it possible it's not even being offered to readers to rate?

I think only shows legally available in the West (by which I mean the United States) can be rated.

Speaking of which, episode 2 of Blue Archive The Animation is now available in North America. Will this show have to be inserted manually every week?

By the way, I noticed that sometimes, I can't see the ratings I previously submitted. This happens occasionally, including at this moment, but usually fixes itself the next day.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
So Tsukimichi (very much like Slime) finally gets to the fighting and jumps up 18 places. No surprise there. Although man am I uninterested in the Heroes. One is borderline evil and psychotic, the other is useless because she's constantly moping and full of doubt after losing a companion. Yawn. My attention wanes whenever we spend time with them. On the other hand, Tomoe contemptuously telling the one, "Hero of the Empire, you are a hopeless piece of trash" was probably my single favorite moment of any show this season. I've probably watched that twenty times already. I can't say I'm looking forward to Makoto fighting in his hero suit (the mana matter suit I'd like a lot more), but hey, Japan, you keep on doing you. I'm with you 98% of the time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:46 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
This week proves the previous spike in ratings for Chillin' etc. wasn't a total fluke, some people actually like it (like me)...

It dropped 24 places! How is that proof the spike was not a one-off? Confused
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
I look at the cumulative ranking... Wink I didn't know y'all were talking about the episode-by-episode, gomen...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
I see. That didn't occur to me since it didn't look like it had much of a "spike" at all in the cumulative, though it's doing a bit better, slowly. Smile
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:23 pm Reply with quote
YourNameIsMitsuha wrote:
I get that Girls Band Cry isn't being reviewed, although I'm disappointed that it isn't, but it's not even on the list? It's a good show by a Toei Animation....

Disagree, Girls Band Cry is not a good show, it is a great show.

Even if the pigeon has made only one appearance - the pigeon is awesome!

Really hoping it gets a second season.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I see. That didn't occur to me since it didn't look like it had much of a "spike" at all in the cumulative, though it's doing a bit better, slowly. Smile
With the inertia inherent in the cumulative ratings, "popping up" 4-5 places in a week or two is relatively quick movement. What I get a kick out of is seeing Chillin' several places above New Urusei Yatsura, I mean, based on it's source, can it really be that bad? Haven't seen and have no interest BTW but the original was OK...

And holy heck, the volatility in the ep-ep is why I typically discount those. I can't fathom those sorts of movement are legitimate reactions to actual individual episodes and I pity Mr. DeLorme trying to use sorting strategies to smooth those out. At least the cumulative represent some sort of stable average that seem to me to mirror how much people like the various shows according to commentary...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1