• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Improving the Bugs & Technical Tips Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I wouldn't compare the moderating here, to the technical support. Two different entities. One paid, another volunteered.

I wasn't comparing the two. In fact, if the technical support here was as efficient as the moderation, I probably would never have had a complaint in the first place. I feel like I'm in Bizarro World here. Other than ikillchicken, not one person seems to have a problem with the fact that the person responsible for providing "official" responses in the Bug Forum has openly said he simply ignores, without acknowledgment, any enquiry that he can't answer. Laughing

Okay, if I'm posting in an environment were that is considered perfectly fine, there's not much I can say.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

What real business would tell a customer he is being "melodramatic" or "exaggerating" a perceived flaw? None. Bad customer service is the hallmark of a bad business. Period. Ironically, the only individual in this thread who has demonstrated even a rudimentary sense of good customer service is Shiroi Hane and he isn't even an ANN staffer (as far as I know).

I appreciate the nice things you said about the stuff we do that you like. Stuff like that makes my day.

But I just wanted to say that I think it's a little strange that you suddenly want the sterile customer-service-phone-call approach from me; I've known you for years now, we've had plenty of arguments, shared jokes, I've had you on the podcast for a fun chat. I feel like I can be candid and honest with you and answer your concerns in the same way I'd talk to you at any other point on the site.

Which includes me telling you when I think you're being melodramatic.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Because I would ignore it, too. And do you know what's worse? Ignoring it would weight more in my head.

Giving a shitty response is very easy. If you've read my posts, you should know that! Cool

Do I have to give you a boobie towel to convince ya or something? mwahah Laughing

I'm sure ANN does the best they can do, btw. I'm sorry, but constructive criticism doesn't always work. Wink

Last edited by egoist on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Zac, you always know how to make me feel like a heel. Honestly, all I wanted was for somebody to say, "Sorry your question fell through the cracks. We'll try better next time. Now, please accept this hooker as a sign of our sincere contrition."

And yes, I fully acknowledge I would have been better off to word my initial complaint in a more polite and constructive way.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
In other words, an automatic answer would do it for ya? And here I thought I had enough of it from tech support of them MMORPG crappies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and in my catalogue of things that ANN does right, I'd be very remiss not to mention the Encyclopedia, as well. It pretty much exemplifies my definition of the word indispensable.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
It's pretty rare to Tempest, Zac, Dan, Dormcat, Key and Shiroi Hane all post in the same forum, in such a short time frame.

Technical issues can be challenging and some issues tend to take longer than others. But at least there is someone in this site that has the knowledge and willingness to fix said issues. That isn't always the case, unfortunately.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I feel like I'm in Bizarro World here. Other than ikillchicken, not one person seems to have a problem with the fact that the person responsible for providing "official" responses in the Bug Forum has openly said he simply ignores, without acknowledgment, any enquiry that he can't answer.

Ah...I don't really want to get in the middle of all this but I feel I need to clarify. I wouldn't at all say I 'have a problem' with it. I don't really think ANN is in any way obligated to provide assistance to every individual problem a user may encounter. I just wanted to mention that personally, I'd find an unhelpful response more helpful than no response at all. Hence, assuming he's going to the trouble of reading people's answers anyway, I would encourage him to go ahead and respond even if it's not anything substantial.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
SHIROI HANE IS NOT LISTED IN THE STAFF DIRECTORY (THAT I CAN SEE). THERE IS NOTHING I CAN FIND SEE IN HIS PROFILE THAT IDENTIFIES HIM AS AN ANN STAFFER.

I said there's a glitch or something goes wrong and we're working on it; do I have to tell you every single action I've done behind the curtain? I've already told Shiroi Hane to write down a brief personal profile ASAP just like everyone else but I haven't seen it yet. On the other hand, I also updated mine yesterday but it just didn't show the changes, even after multiple edits and saves. Therefore I'm not sure if he has written the profile already but the system just can't display it properly.

As for the problem of his "Baka Ranger" title between the screen name and the avatar: it is a unique problem that never happened before: Shiroi Hane was the first staff member who got drafted after becoming a subscriber. He made several attempts to fix it with no success yet. We can only wait for Dan but this is not a crucial problem (until yesterday) so we never bothered to push him for it.

Blood- wrote:
EXACTLY WHAT DOES GOING TO THE ENCYCLOPEDIA FORUM TELL ME? WHAT THREAD WOULD I LOOK IN TO SEE IF SHIROI HANE IS AN STAFFER OR NOT? WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST SAY RIGHT OFF THE BAT WHAT HIS FUNCTION IS HERE INSTEAD OF BEING OBTUSE? WHAT FUNCTION ARE YOU PROVINDING IN THIS THREAD BEYOND AMPLY DEMONSTRATING THE PROBLEMS IN ANN'S "CUSTOMER SERVICE"???

I always believe that it is more rewarding and inspirational when one gets hinted to a path to the answer rather than being told the answer directly i.e. a fishing pole is better than a fish. It's not like if you don't get the answer (i.e. the "fish" in this case) you'd die from starvation. Since you've wanted it so badly I'll give you examples here and here. The best way would be performing an ego search with Shiroi Hane's name, specify the Encyclopedia forum, and display results as posts with all available characters.

Blood- wrote:
Jeus Christ. Unbelievable.

Same here. And you misspelled His name. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Let me give you a hint: when dealing with an already cheesed off customer*, spreading a bread crumb trail to information is a really dumb idea. Just give the facts quickly and concisely. I assure you that approach will be vastly more appreciated and useful.

*You may not view posters as customers. We are. If we didn't visit this site, ANN would derive no income from its advertising banners, and it would have nobody to sell premium or simulcasting content to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3