• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Racism in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annomandaris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Quite true, thank god most countries aren't as racially oversensitive as the US, it gets annoying very fast.

well the UK's not far behind.

some counties have banned any public celebrations of christmas(no father christmas in shopping centres, no city decorations, etc)

because 'It is offensive to other ethnic groups to have the cultures of another thrust upon them'

to which I reply

you chose to live in England, you should respect our customs and heritage, we have to respect yours.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
what bothers me in the U.S. is that when you offend someone they go "You're doing this to me because i'm [insert race here]" it's quite annoying, because i'm offending them because of their personal character rather than their race...

ironically they're being racist themselves
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:16 am Reply with quote
Gasaraki doesn't potray America in the best light. It feels more a statement on the government than on the people. There is also the idea of America being out of control in Brain Powerd. I believe that the US breaks away from the UN or something to that point in the backstory, although it has been a number of years since I've seen it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Considering the fact that Japan's population growth rate is near 0%, they should start loosening up their immigration laws.

There's no hurry, they could use a few decades of negative population growth, it is a small country with limited rsources.

Quote:
I've often wondered about this in respect to the constant portrayal of black people in Japanese anime. It's something I've railed against more than once on this board, and it drives me crazy. I just find it hard to believe that in numerous animations that look so crisp and detailed you still have "the black guy" drawn like Sambo, or you have no black people altogether. 12-18 years ago I probably gave it a pass, now there's just no excuse. I've heard so many ranging from "the animators have a tough job showing facial features with darker textures", "there aren't many black people in Japan", and my fave "maybe the animators haven't met many black people". My answer to the first excuse:

I'm sorry, I just can't blame Japanese people for not including black people, or for screwing them up when they do. One of the first things taught in writing classes is to write what you know, and most Japanese people don't know any black people. Anything they put into a show would be heresay. Boondocks works because it was created by Aaron McGruder, who is black himself, and likely knows a lot of other black people, NOT the typical anime creator's experience.

Besides, most anime takes place in Japan, or in Japan-esc fictional worlds, and while Japan does have some black people, they're hardly as ubiquitous there as they are in America, or many parts of Europe, so shoehorning them into even 5% of animes would be a real stretch.

Quote:
I find it funny seeing how foreigners are depicted in anime.

They always look blond, blue-eyed

like the foreigners in azumanga daioh.

Yes, this is generally because of the exotic nature of it. A blonde, blue eyed character is clearly not fully Japanese (or has altered his appearance), since no Japanese person is naturally blonde or blue eyed. It's a curiosity, and also a good way if differentiating which characters are foreigners in a given series.

As to the over topic, is anime racist? Yeah. The Japanese people are racist. That isn't always a bad thing, because their racisim sometimes presents in good ways (ie reverance for another race rather than hatred, but either is prejudice based on race), but they do, as a culture, tend to put a lot importance on race. There are exceptions of course, there are plenty of Japanese people who do not particularly judge on race, but most do.

I don't think anime's representation of black people is negative racism though, it's more justifiable ignorance than it is hatred or even dislike.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Gasaraki doesn't potray America in the best light. It feels more a statement on the government than on the people. There is also the idea of America being out of control in Brain Powerd. I believe that the US breaks away from the UN or something to that point in the backstory, although it has been a number of years since I've seen it.
Gasaraki was very good and making the US look like power hungry thugs was deliberate to tell the story. spoiler[The new ruler of Japan was counting on his belief that the US would hord it's stock of grain in light of the bad world harvest in order to spark riots on the streets in Tokyo and then blame the immigrants for the cause and have a reason to kill most and evict the rest, ethnic cleansing. But he was let down by the US President who as it turned out was more humanitarian then he believed to his cost.] One also has to take into account that Japan was never a slave importing nation in it's history, quite the opposite They tried to keep the filthy foreigners off their shores for centuries. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animefan16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't agree with what Ohoni says but in this case, I do. I never had a problem with how blacks were drawn because most of the people in Japan have only seen Blacks in american movies and TV shoes.

While sometimes racism in Japan does seem like it's more of them admiring people of other races than hating them, it is still problem. Besides the success of the two racist mangas, "Hating anything South Korean" and "Introduction to China" and the fact that some places ban foreigners, there's also the fact that many kids who aren't ethnically Japanese that live in Japan are bullied.

I watched a documentary about how the Tokugawa era influenced modern Japanese society. It said that many of the kids who are bullied in schools are not Japanese or japanese students who lived overseas. But it was an old documentary from the 1980s so things might have changed.

Tokyo's governer a few years was racist. He said that blacks had low IQ. He also said that China should be divided. Here's some of his other comments:
http://www1.jca.apc.org/anti-hinokimi/archive/ishihara/eindex.html
AHZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I'm sorry, I just can't blame Japanese people for not including black people, or for screwing them up when they do. One of the first things taught in writing classes is to write what you know, and most Japanese people don't know any black people. Anything they put into a show would be heresay. Boondocks works because it was created by Aaron McGruder, who is black himself, and likely knows a lot of other black people, NOT the typical anime creator's experience.

That's bull. Why can't you blame them? There is a such thing as education. If you don't know about a particular group of people, then you can learn about them.

It's not out of the ordinary for creators to take a trip to a specific location in order to do research for history and art direction to insure that their depiction is as true as possible. Why can't they take the same approach to learning about people--which is far more important.

Ohoni wrote:
I don't think anime's representation of black people is negative racism though, it's more justifiable ignorance than it is hatred or even dislike.

Ignorance is apart of racism. Though I agree it's not out of hatred. It is, however, a lack of willingness to learn.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Unless the setting of the story is in a place that has a lot of black people who are important to the story I fail to see the point on forcing research on people. Drawing black people the way they do doesn't remotely affect the japanese consumer base and only a tiny, tiny % of foreign consumers hence the research is not justified.

If you mean that they should do this just for the sake of learning then that it no more reasonable than expecting people in the US to know about some obscure asian racial sub-groups that you are unlikey to ever come into contact with. The Japanese have no need to deal with sensitive black people, so they don't.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, I was reading volume 5 of Alice 19th, and came across something that reminded me of this post. At one point, a black character appears, and it's almost like running through a checklist:

-flips people off for no apparent reason
-wears baggy jeans, big sneakers, black (leather?) jacket
-has some dreadlock braids
-mistakenly almost attacks the good guys (meaning he's brash, impulsive, not thoughtful)
-and of course, is from the U.S.

Even so, the actual art style is decent--there are none of the stereotypical features that have been discussed in this thread, so I don't consider it "racist"; just in some ways typical of the perceptions of Americans.
Heishirou Tennou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Tokyo's governer a few years was racist. He said that blacks had low IQ. He also said that China should be divided. Here's some of his other comments:
http://www1.jca.apc.org/anti-hinokimi/archive/ishihara/eindex.html

Shintaro Ishihara has a history of being a racist A$$HOLE. He refers Chinese and Korean with the insulting word "Sangokujin", and supports discrimination against them. He also a demented person, he denies the Rape of Nanjing and Women forced to Prostitution in WWII ever happened. He totally loves to honor his demon god, Hideki Tojo.

Anyways, Anime and Manga were inspired by old American animation. Old American animations were very racist at those times. That's why you have the stereotypical Jim-Crow style Black people in Anime and Manga. I believe the creators didn't ment there creations (or themselves) to be viewed as racist. That's how they been drawing like that for many years. It seems more that it's America's fault that Anime and Manga has those Jim-Crow style Blacks.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Blacks are stereotyped in japan (as least by kids)

remember the editorials?

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html
Sabakyuu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is interesting...so are the african americans that live in japan isolated or what? Confused
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
OH COME ON, HERE. I can't believe half of what I read! Now I won't hit everything because I'm strapped for time (see MTA Transit Strike) but man . . .

Azathrael wrote:
As for the African American comment by sean, ROFL. I'm sorry, but that's just TOO funny. I'm sure it's not just me - dude, the United States is the ONLY country in the world that tries to be "politically correct" in the extreme like that. HAHAHA!

Again, I don't care if there aren't many blacks, just draw them correctly. Again, NOT A HERCULEAN FEAT PEOPLE.

Also shirokiryuu, notice how a lot of the times the tan skinned, blond-haired girl is the mean one? As far as the racially oversensitive comment, let's go to the videotape.

Pleroma wrote:
Unless the setting of the story is in a place that has a lot of black people who are important to the story I fail to see the point on forcing research on people. Drawing black people the way they do doesn't remotely affect the japanese consumer base and only a tiny, tiny % of foreign consumers hence the research is not justified.

Bull. Google Images on Black people or buy a webcam. I guess this is a bad time to mention the 2.5 years my sis spent in Korea the times when Koreans kept coming up to her asking to see her tail. I only wish I was joking. Knowlege is power.
technomike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
Japan is a much-closed society and foreigners are not welcomed.
See: http://www.tabunka.org/ or http://www.debito.org/activistspage.html
Moreover, we tend to believe we are the chosen ones. Well I don’t, but my father thought that way. Hint: WW II and the alliance with Germany.

Quote:

I find it funny seeing how foreigners are depicted in anime.

They always look blond, blue-eyed

like the foreigners in azumanga daioh.

Not only foreigners are blonde and blue-eyed, but also the main characters themselves are blond and blue eyed. I find that amusing since the natives are totally the opposite.

Western culture has greatly influenced Japan, especially with Hip-Hop and now Latin with the young people. But overall, depiction of other minorities such Latino, Indian or African American are not very flattering.

I find that European culture it most dominant. As an Asian, I find it disturbing that we elevate the European standard of beauty above our own beauty.

The effects are young girls gluing their eyelids to obtain that double lid or “round eye look”. Furthermore, videos that depict only Whites or animation illustrations of Whites on an Asian land. On the other hand, in American society, it is the reverse. No matter what the degrees of political correctness, if you are Asian or any other minority, you will be reminded constantly that you are “different” and you are excluded.

I find it amusing that people always infer that African Americans are they only ones who are always the victims of race. It was not to long ago when the cartoons of the yellow slant-eyed bucktooth “Japanese” or “Gook”. Moreover, the racial slur “Gook” generally is frequently used. Just ask Michelle Malkin or Chai Soua Vang.

Last edited by technomike on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
I haven't read each post in detail, but did skim over them. And I haven't seen this in the thread, but remember another topic talking about the "conspiracy theory" of Blood+ where the U.S military is portrayed as pushy, overexerting, and maybe even villainous.

There's one particular plot element that can be argued as a sort of representation of how Americans are perceived. Apparently, spoiler[ the U.S military is making a chemical that turns people into monsters and always trying to cover up deaths or other incidents ever involving these creatures].

Actually, I believe there may also be some French people that are working with the U.S, but they haven't formally written out that relationship into the series yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8