• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why live-action anime/manga properties aren't so bad.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuknight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
To comment on how so much anime fans are frequently aggressive against live action, some even saying anime/manga should never be made because those mediums are not at all suited for real life visuals......

Large much of live action Japanese TV come from manga (along with being influenced heavily a lot of the times by OVAs that were adapted over the years). In fact an entire demograph called Josei (older females 17+ often consisting of mid 20s to 30s adult women) almost never gets anime adaptations but goes straight to live action.

Along with that is that a noteworthy amount of Japan's most beloved classic cinema are adaptations of manga that were published in the same span of years such as Lady Snowblood.

Some of the dominant manga of the past such as Ashita No Joe and Touch had live TV dramas while they were still running in the original magazines. Hell Rose of Versailles had a movie directed by one of the auteurs of French cinema with a European cast.

[EDIT: Made the topic title less long-winded. -TK]
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:22 am Reply with quote
I remember when said LoTR could never be adapted then Peter Jackson came
along.

It’s possible. But I’m largely ignorant of it because whole a lot of Hong King action used to make it over with dubs, it seems harder to find and vet live action. Not seeing much of it in mainstream streaming services and I’m no longer just throwing money at any dvd that comes out just to see if it’s any good.

I’d love to see a good list of well done live action anime/manga based shows with an indication of if they are sub/dub in English. Then I’d be willing to give a few a try. Last couple imports I got from Amazon on BD looked like bad copies from VHS with one saying dubbed but it wasn’t and one’s dub so bad and out of sync with the bad sub that it was an unintended comedy for the 15 minutes I could watch it.

So a reputable source, decent review, and verified English dub would be needed for me to take the dive at this point. But it’s possible. I have watched a
Couple of the new Korean RomComs on Netlfix recently and at least one I swear was influenced by Maid Sama.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Samuknight Wrote:
Quote:
o comment on how so much anime fans are frequently aggressive against live action

You don't specify, but I assume you are talking about North American anime fans. Unfortunately you are comparing apples to coconuts.

The live action adaptations you mention in Japan, rarely if ever make it to North America. As InfiniteJest mentions what we do get is rare and poorly made. The only thing we do have access to is those anime adaptions made by big US studios. Unfortunately the creative staff in most US studios feel that they have to put their mark on what they do. This usually means they change the adaption from the original to the point it is hard to compare the two. As a consequence those fans going to see a familiar story are deeply disappointed. Throw in all the usual fuss about "white washing" the cast and you have a recipe for failure. To the extent that such adaptations do succeed it is with people who were not fans of the original. It is not surprising that most NA anime fans are leery of live action adaptations.

The adaptation of The Lord of the Rings ,mentioned above, is one of the few that remained relatively close to the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1