• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Passed over Anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:27 am Reply with quote
Have you ever started watching a series and eventually gave up on it as it just didn't hold your interest? Whether it be after a few minutes or few episodes occasionally you might have made the decision not to spend anymore time on a show.

Sometimes the subject matter may not hold your attention or maybe the direction wasn't what you were expecting. A particularly annoying character could be a trigger for me to consider other alternatives. The fact that there are alternatives just might be a large part of the thought process behind bailing on something.

I'm in a unique situation where I don't have the luxury of alternative options, whatever is being broadcast is what I have to work with. Choosing not to watch an Anime for me means choosing not to watch Anime, not a choice I would make. So I end up sticking it out regardless of what my initial thoughts of the series may be.

In the way back times Toonami was able to broadcast more content and would release promos for an upcoming series. I would eye these promos suspiciously and either feel they were going to be amazing or not worth the effort. I had no options however and watched everything that was put on. Looking at the promo for Hunter x Hunter I wrote it off as a Pokemon knock off and given only that information likely wouldn't have watched it. I was clearly wrong and it turned out to be a great series. (tho it did finish kinda weak imho, and did they ever actually go hunting after getting licenses?).

I'm not necessarily a mecha fan and seeing the promo for SSSS Gridman left me lukewarm to the idea of the show. I figured it was going to be a Voltron love triangle situation. Even after the first episode I still wasn't sure if it was any good or not. Had I the ability to stream Highschool of the Dead or something I probably would have done that instead. Since I stuck it out however I got to experience an amazing series second only to FLCL on my list.

Its an embarrassment of riches out there with all the streaming content available so I can see how easy it would be to fail to give a show a fighting chance. Think about some of the shows you've given up on.
Do you think its possible you passed over a gem or two?

[EDIT: Made the title a little more specific. -TK]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh, dear, I don't think you know what awaits you.

There are two types of Passed Over Anime. One is what you mentioned, those you watched a couple of episodes and gave up on. The other is those anime you saw announced or advertised and decided not to watch with out trying them. I have dozens of the first type and hundreds of the second. Concerning the first type, unless you are a reviewer or some such, life is too short to watch stuff you don't like just because it qualifies as anime or as a classic or what ever.

As for the second type, it is a survival skill. I just checked and the Preview Guide looked at 44 shows for this season. There are a few that were continuing shows and there were also a few that didn't make the cut. This is for one 13 week season. Multiply that by four to get a whole year. And that is just the current stuff. If, as is likely if you want to keep up, you subscribe to the three or four streaming services that carry the bulk of each season you will also have access to hundreds of shows from prior years. In addition there are a number of shows not currently streaming that can be picked up on used DVDs from E-bay and the like. Lets just say it is an embarrassment of riches. You will have to set up your own screening process. Trying to watch everything or even the first three episodes is a quick road to burn out. For me, I check the preview guide each season, if the blurb at the top sounds interesting, I check the reviews. From there I decide what I intend to watch. As the season progresses, I check if weekly reviews, if available, and the chatter in the forums. Based on that I may add or subtract a show or two. As to the older stuff, well, I mostly made those decisions when the shows first came out.

Your current situation reminds me of when I started. Back then there was no streaming and very little anime on TV even including cable. I'm seriously against pirating anything so in order to try a show I had to buy a tape. My sources of information were the blurb on the box and the occasional magazine review. If the show was then being currently released it might be two or three months for the next installment of three or four episodes. I ended up buying a lot of shows I wouldn't look at now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1