• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Game Industry Uniting Against Bad Decisions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Similarly, Cult of the Lamb's developers have warned fans to buy the game "now" because it'll be deleted on January 1st of 2024.

On Steam they're saying that their post was sensationalized, and they're not deleting the game. I'm not sure how reporting "the thing we literally said" is sensationalizing it, but whatevs.
light turner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
She introduces herself as a "Junior" at University, not high school. They actually aged her up a year from the Japanese version hahaha.

Oh, college! That makes way more sense then. My mistake!
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The really insane thing about what Unity is pulling is that they're applying it retroactively.

You can't get away from this by simply not using Unity anymore, and switching to another engine for future games. If you've made games with Unity in the past, those games are going to be subject to this new pricing scheme, and you're going to be on the hook for those costs.

This is going to bankrupt some smaller developers. It's an absolute travesty.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:30 am Reply with quote
Depends what you mean by retroactive as charges where stated to be based on the current years installs.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Depends what you mean by retroactive as charges where stated to be based on the current years installs.

IIRC the benchmarks are retroactive and they are lifetime benchmarks. Even if they weren't, you could have a situation like how Among Us wasn't popular until well after it was published. If you suddenly have a hit game that was made in Unity, you're going to be charged for it effectively forever.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:14 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Cryten wrote:

IIRC the benchmarks are retroactive and they are lifetime benchmarks. Even if they weren't, you could have a situation like how Among Us wasn't popular until well after it was published. If you suddenly have a hit game that was made in Unity, you're going to be charged for it effectively forever.

I haven't spent a ton of time researching it (and haven't even looked at the Unity FAQ), but I thought this was a pretty clear explanation:

While installs made before January 1, 2024, will not incur any per-install fees, those previous installs will be used to help calculate whether a game meets the applicable "lifetime installs" threshold, according to Unity's FAQ.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/09/game-developers-unite-against-unitys-new-per-install-pricing-structure/

i.e., it seems like you won't be directly charged for historical installs, but they will contribute to determining what pricing tier you're in. Mm, also presumably new installs count, even if they're new installs of old games released at a time when Unity's TOS were different.

Really, really hope this leads to a mass exodus to other game engines (especially Godot! They even announced a Godot development fund, in the middle of this Unity debacle!). Hopefully Unity goes completely under (and, truly pie-in-the-sky, maybe ends up selling their source code to some group with stronger roots in developer communities, and much weaker roots in MBA ones).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:46 am Reply with quote
I can't see how any part of that retroactive bullshit holds up under legal scrutiny. And you can bet your ass there are going to be plenty of lawsuits flying over this.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
FYI only daytona one got the SRC thing 2 did not till now
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
The need for Unity to make a LOT more money roughly coincides with the company going public. Shareholders tend to prefer continuous growth in share value.
djl33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...if you wanted a self-congratulatory AAA game, Starfield is right over there, man.

What is that supposed to mean?
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:13 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2